Deafness Research UK is committed to making a unique contribution to the research community. We add value by providing funding not available from other sources, and by focusing on projects within units recognised as contributing strategically to the good of deafness research within the UK.
• Relevance to prevention, diagnosis, treatment or cure of disorders of hearing and listening
• Excellence, timeliness and originality of science
• Clearly defined short, medium and long term impact on those affected by hearing and listening disorders
• Financial need – no other obvious or more appropriate source of funding
Our priority areas
• Fundamental molecular, cellular and developmental research leading ultimately to prevention and medical treatments for hearing loss
• Early detection of deafness and hearing rehabilitation programmes
• Causes and treatment of conductive hearing loss
• Genetics of deafness
• Improving benefit from hearing aids
• Improving benefit from cochlear implants
• Central auditory processing
• Causes and treatment of tinnitus
All awards are approved by the charity's trustees taking advice from the research advisory panel and external experts using an agreed process of peer review.